Hand squeezed objects
Postal clay packs and resources for all ages and abilities
As part of Modern Clay Art School
(Dispatched in March 2021 and launching again in summer 2021)
Make objects out of coloured clays with artists Leah Carless and Joanne Masding. You’ll receive a pack in the post containing everything you need to make colourful ceramic objects that can be used in the home, such as drawer handles and light pulls.
For babies, toddlers and children, working with clay is a great way of introducing them to the joys of making and of capturing the imprints of tiny hands. And for older children and adults you can experiment as you wish to produce unique and functional pieces.
Choose from packs with 2, 4 or 6 lumps of clay, and follow the guidance provided to make lightpulls, drawer handles, pendants, magnets, or palm sized sculptures. (Each lump of clay weighs 75g, roughly the size of an egg, and will make one item.)
How it works:
1. Order a pack containing 2, 4 or 6 lumps of clay through our Eventbrite page
2. We’ll send you a pack of materials, tools and supporting information in the post
3. Have a read, watch our videos and get squeezing and shaping
4. When you’re happy with them, wait for your pieces harden up and post them back to us in the box provided (we’ll cover posting the pack and finished pieces to you, but you’ll need to cover the cost of posting your work back to us).
5. We’ll glaze, fire and add any fixings to your pieces, and post them back to you when they’re ready (approximately 2-4 weeks after we receive them)
– Prepared professional clay that’s ready to use
– Links to online videos with information on how to work with the clay to produce a range of objects, plus making tips and processes
– Simple tools for adding holes and shaping
– Firing and glazing service at Modern Clay and postage of your finished object
– An invite to an end of season zoom, where there’s the opportunity to share what you’ve made with other participants
What else you need:
– A table or work surface to make on, and a covering such as a wipeable table mat or cling film (we’ve also worked with babies in high chairs)
– You might want to wear an apron
If you have any questions email email@example.com.
What is Modern Clay Art School?
Modern Clay Art School is the educational strand of Modern Clay Co-op, designed for both adults and children. Pre-Covid-19 Modern Clay Art School ran in person sessions, which have since moved to a mix of online and postal formats. Each session is designed and led by the artists who work from Modern Clay’s studio, who are all experienced workshop leaders with Enhanced DBS checks. We aim to give all participants a high quality experience, ensuring there are never more than 6 students to 1 teacher, and always using artist-quality materials in every workshop. All materials and firing costs are included. Find out more about Modern Clay here: modernclay.org